Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Update On My Son



The past couple of days has been really busy for me. Yesterday, I had to take the report from the doctor that did my son evaluation for his ADHD, to the school yesterday. Came to find out that clinic did not facts them the report. I was really feeling bad yesterday and then the school called me and was asking about the what that doctor diagnosed. I asked, the assistant principal if they received that fax....she wasn't sure about it. Well, I told her that I would bring it to her, so she could make a copy of it. So, I did that...well, before I left to go there, I called and made my son the appointment with the doctor, the one that I have been putting off and putting off, just didn't want to have my son put on medicine...you know. Well, I made the call, and they told me to bring him in at 3:20pm. Well, I stayed around town until it was time to go and pick the kids up from school, so I could take him to the doctor. My son kept asking me why I was checking them out of school...I told him that he had a doctor appointment. He got scared, thinking they was going to give him a shot. I told him no shot...lol. Well anyway, the doctor didn't do anything yesterday...she wanted him to see his eye doctor, which that appointment was already scheduled for today and then come back to her.




Well, last night...we had Special Prayer for him at church. My pastor and his wife (My Aunt & Uncle), I have talked to them about it. I have prayed about it. So, I just decided to ask my pastor/Uncle if he would have special prayer for him. We did, and this morning, we got a very good report on his eyes. Here was the problem...he has been suffering from Augtism Spectrum....if anyone don't know what that is...here you go. Augtism Spectrum is when you see one color....say a light green....when he looked at a color...then he was seeing all the shades of green...it was confusing him. Usually, the eye doctor can fix it without surgery, but in some cases it involves surgery. Well, Thank God....he does not have no sign of it....his eyes are not crossing anymore and he is read two rows of letters down from where he was in August. His eyes are fine. He does wear glasses at school and that was to fix his eyes from crossing like they was. When he reads up close, they still cross...just a hair, but not really bad.




He went back to the doctor next....she wrote him out a prescription for Adderall. It is a low mg. It is to help with his concentration on school. He takes it every morning, before school. Monday-Friday Only....No Weekends, No Holidays, No Summers....just while in school. He goes back in two weeks to see if there is any improvement. She said, that he is not over active, for his age...it is his concentration that is bothering him. Just keep him in your prayers.




I would like to say thank you for all of the advice/success storiesthat you all have shared with me. I was fighting a battle over this. My husband kept saying no medicine, that he didn't want him on medicine. Neither do I...but he needs help and if medicine is what it takes to get him help, then that is how it has to be. I have read so many stories, I have talked to so many people, and including the doctor said this....I know you don't want him on medicine, but think of it this way....if you are diagnosed with high blood pressure, you are going to take the medicine. If you are diagnosed with Diabetes....you are going to take the medicine. After reading these, after talking to people, after crying and praying to God every single day, every since we have learned about this...I feel like the meds will help him. Once again...Thank you all so much...yall have been wonderful, very supportive and thanks for being my online support team.




It is time to go to work now. Please don't let the prayers stop here. He has to go through one more test and that is dyslexia...it will take about 4 hours to do this test. It is not over yet...but hopefully this medicine will help him improve on that area also.




Hope you all have a wonderful day.


2 comments:

Lisa said...

I think my son may have dyslexia and needs eye glasses. He has some trouble staying on task too but we had him tested once for ADHD and he didn't have it. We did have to hold him back a year in 1st grade because he is all boy and simply does not learn at the same pace as some boys do. He is doing well since we held him back one year but I wish my son would do more reading when I ask him to. I am going to have to be more insistent with him so he does not fall behind. I know he needs glasses and we can't quite yet afford them but we are close. I think we will be able to get them within the next few months... hopefully by tax return time. And then mommy needs glasses. I will gladly be last for Aaron to have his first. Best wishes with your son and you have all my prayers. Good for you for taking all the right steps to do what you can to get him all the help he needs. You are a great mom!
Lisa

SHAYS PLACE said...

that is sooo good to here audie, im glade. and i will keep praying for him too.
shay.